Lee County Black History Society
- Fort Myers, FL
- 2,500 sf
Originally built in the 1940’s as a community school house with all wood frame construction and ship-lap wood siding, this 2,500 square foot school house was to retain all of the original construction to meet the requirements for registration as a historic landmark, while making the building weather-tight to accommodate an air-conditioning system and to meet current life safety code requirements for a fire sprinkler and fire alarm system and to make provisions for handicap accessibility. Site work involved fill and grading to establish historical relationship of building to surrounding grades.