Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park
- Grand Rapids, MI
- 100,000 sf + extensive site work
- our role
- Construction Manager
Completed in 2022, this $115 million capital expansion project included several new buildings, totaling over 100,000 sf, and extensive renovations and reconfigurations to the 158-acre campus. O‑A‑K has overseen all work at the Frederik Meijer Gardens since their inception in 1995. This capital expansion began in September 2017.
The program featured:
- A new 69,000 sf, LEED-certified Welcome Center, featuring a granite-clad plaza to bridge the space between the main entrance and outdoor amphitheater.
- A new 20,000 sf, LEED-certified Covenant Learning Center, connected to the current facility, featuring six classrooms and an interactive education area (recipient of 2019 ABC Excellence in Construction award)
- A new Padnos Rooftop Sculpture Garden on the roof of the Covenant Learning Center
- A new Peter C. and Emajean (Pat) Cook Transportation Center to transport people within the 158-acre park
- Expanded and upgraded Frederik Meijer Gardens Amphitheater, to increase seating capacity
- A reimagined and expanded BISSELL Inc. Scenic Corridor
- A new Meijer-Shedleski Picnic Pavilion
- Expanded and accessible parking and urban gardens
- New 69,000 sf Welcome Center
- Amphitheater expansion features expanded seating, a new plaza, concessions and restrooms, and 18 weight-rated hooks above the stage for added capabilities
- A completely reconfigured parking layout was completed in three separate phases, to minimize disruption
- New concessions building
- New main ticketing area
- Classroom inside the new Covenant Learning Center
- Aerial view of the 20,000 sf Covenant Learning Center and Padnos Rooftop Garden
O‑A‑K has been our construction manager partner on all our facilities. It is a partnership we highly value. The O‑A‑K people are professionals that are hard-working, smart, personable and of the highest quality and integrity. All our facilities are unique structures requiring creative solutions managing a host of sub-contractors. We have a great tradition of working with O‑A‑K to complete our projects on-time and on-budget.