Frederik Meijer Gardens
- Grand Rapids, MI
- 90,000 sf + extensive site work
- our role
- Construction Manager
Currently under construction, this $115 million capital expansion project includes three new buildings totaling 90,000 sf and extensive renovations and reconfigurations to the 158-acre campus. O‑A‑K has overseen all work at the Meijer Gardens since it was founded in 1995. Highlights of this project include:
- A new 60,000 sf, LEED-certified Welcome Center, featuring a new plaza that will bridge the space between the main entrance and outdoor amphitheater
- A new 20,000 sf, LEED-certified Covenant Learning Center, connected to the current facility, featuring six classrooms and an interactive education area
- A new Peter C. and Emajean Cook Transportation Center to transport people within the 158-acre park
- Expanded and upgraded Frederik Meijer Gardens Amphitheater, to increase seating capacity
- A reimagined and expanded BISSELL Inc. Scenic Corridor
- A new Outdoor Picnic Pavilion
- A new Padnos Families Rooftop Sculpture Garden on the roof of the Covenant Learning Center
- Expanded and accessible parking and urban gardens
Construction began in September 2017 and is scheduled for completion in 2021.
On behalf of the Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park, it is a pleasure to team up with Owen‑Ames‑Kimball Co. Since 1993 it has been my personal and professional privilege to interact with their entire team.